🌱 Riverhead Daily: Juneteenth + 1st Strawberry Festival Talent Show
Hello everyone. It’s me, Diane Witek, your host of the Daily. Keep reading for the most important things happening in town.
First, today’s weather forecast:
Partially sunny; windy, cooler. High: 71, low: 56.
Here are the best stories in Riverhead today:
- Riverhead celebrates Juneteenth! Community organizations and the Suffolk Theater will be hosting many events over the weekend this year. (RiverheadLOCAL)
- On June 19, Riverhead Town Hall will be closed on Monday, officials said. (RiverheadLOCAL)
- The New York Marine Rescue Center and the Atlantic Marine Conservation Society rushed to Brooklyn on Sunday to rescue a stranded ‘pygmy sperm whale’or Kogia breviceps”, which is not found in our waters. After several attempts to push the whale out to sea, it was decided that euthanasia was the best solution for the compromised whale. (Riverhead Patch)
- The first-ever Strawberry Festival Talent Show was a resounding success. The talent ranged from contestants between the ages of 7 and 101. The categories for acts were singing, dancing, instrumental, and comedy. (North Fork Patch)
- Dan’s Papers does it again with a list of things to do in the North Fork this weekend: June 18-19. Be sure to bring suntan lotion. (Dan’s Papers)
Today in Riverhead:
- Free Mini Family Photoshoots at Riverhead! (9:00 a.m.)
- Greater Jamesport Civic Association meeting with Councilor Kenneth Rothwell. (9:30 a.m.)
- Farmer’s and craft market at The Shoppes. (10h)
- Liza Coppola — Live Music. (7 p.m.)
- Paul McCartney: The early years with “The Moondogs”. (8 p.m.)
- Liza Coppola — Live Music. (3am)
From my notebook:
- Cornell Cooperative Extension of Suffolk County: “Today our team from CCE-Suffolk, Long Island Farm Bureau and Cornell University Long Island Horticultural Research & Extension Center enjoyed an informative tour of the Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine Duck Research Lab.” (Cornell Cooperative Extension of Suffolk County via Facebook)
- The Long Island Pine Barrens Society: “This weekend, consider visiting Brookhaven State Park on the east side of William Floyd Parkway and hiking one of the many trails there. Throughout your walk , you’ll see abundant plant life, like the remarkable Pitch Pine.” (The Long Island Pine Barrens Society via Facebook)
- Spirit’s Promise Equine Rescue Program: “What a wonderful, relaxing Wednesday we had last night with our guests led by Melanie Palmeri! Healing comes in many forms and meditation and painting are definitely a fun way to do it. We hope to see you all again soon.”💜 (Spirit’s Promise Equine Rescue Program via Facebook) (website)
- The Suffolk Theatre: “The only thing better than one Michael Bublé is three of them! @shadesofbuble brings Michael Bublé’s swing standards and pop hits to the stage in an unforgettable, high-energy concert.” (The Suffolk Theater via Instagram) (Website)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
- Animal communication. It’s time to stop thinking they have no voice. (Details)
- Living with someone who has memory loss? Over 60? Paid study done by phone! (Details)
- Add your ad
Concerts and services:
You are now aware and ready to go out this Saturday! See you soon.
— Diane Witek
About me: Passionate writer, web designer, social media marketer and newly proclaimed baker. Lover of nature and animals of all kinds.