🌱 North Fork Daily: New Strawberry Fest Talent Show Wow + Fun Run
Hello, North Fork. Last night’s very first talent show at the Mattituck Lions Club Strawberry Festival brought out the best in this amazing community. Competitors ranging in age from 7 to 101 took part, showcasing not only their talents but also their true showmanship, as well as their dedication to their hometown, adult winners, the Peconic Landing Ukelele Club, donating their proceeds to help others.
In a world where we have been isolated for so long during COVID-19, this was exactly what this community needed: a chance to come together and encourage each other. Watching familiar faces like Lynn McCaffery, who performed her very first stand-up series on this stage, brought us all together. And that’s what we need now more than ever.
Hoping that this wonderful show continues next year.
A thunderstorm in the afternoon; hotter. High: 82 Low: 64.
Here are the top stories on North Fork today:
- The contestants for the first-ever Wow Crowd Strawberry Festival talent show: The crowd cheered for a delightful display of talent from contestants aged 7 to 101. (North Fork Patch)
- Run for fun on Shelter Island this weekend: See full details here. (Hamptons.com)
- Podcast: Make It A Strawberry Weekend on North Fork: Who picks this weekend? (Northforker)
- Splish Splash is hosting the Flat Belly Contest for Father’s Day: A fun event for dads everywhere. (News 12 Bronx)
- Sag Harbor keeps an eye out for seaplanes: The controversial issue was discussed at a recent village meeting. (East Hampton Star)
From our sponsor:
Are you a North Fork resident looking for an investment alternative to the stock market?
Bloomberg recently asked experts where they would invest $100,000 right now, and many of them got the same answer: fine art.
Think you can’t afford a Picasso? Well, in 2012, Congress passed the JOBS Act, which allowed for the securing of works of art. A company called Masterworks.io has built the largest platform for buying and selling art titles. In the past, you could only buy stocks from companies like Apple, but with this investing app, you can unlock this powerful investment.
This means that you can invest in stocks of million dollar works of art. And in these uncertain times, it turns out fine art can be a wise investment. Here’s why:
- Low correlation with equities according to Citi
- Contemporary art historically yields 23.2% when inflation is > 3%
- Contemporary art prices outperformed the S&P 500 by 164% (1995-2021)
For more, visit Masterworks.io, where North Fork Daily readers can skip the waitlist.
View Important Reg A Disclosures
Today on North Fork:
- Greenhill Kitchen first annual summer launch event (7:00 p.m.)
- Flower mandalas in the roundels – Session 1 (8h30)
- In-Person Summer Chair Yoga (11:00 a.m.)
- Fundraiser for Shelter Island Fireworks at Sunset Beach (6:00 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- The North Fork Animal Welfare League: “One hundred and fifty days. Arabella, Cannoli, Sailor and Pup Tart have been waiting for their forever families for almost six months, and no staff member can understand why.” (The North Fork Animal Welfare League via Facebook)
- Mattituck-Laurel Library: “Join Chef Rob for an in-person cooking class on Wednesday, June 22 at 5:30 p.m. Southwestern Grilled Chicken Salad with a Honey Lime Dressing is on the menu. See details below.” (Mattituck-Laurel Library via Facebook)
- North Fork now: “Repost from @browdersbirds • Visit the farm! Open daily 9am-5pm. Fresh, organic chicken and all cuts of chicken available Thursday-Sunday. Also @westhamptonbeachfarmersmarket Saturday 9am-1am.” (North Fork now via Facebook)
- North Fork now: “Repost from @dissetchocolate • Celebration Collection is available year-round. Available in 12-piece and 6-piece – flavors in this collection vary throughout the year depending on holidays or what’s happening in that season.” (North Fork now via Facebook)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
- Greenhill Kitchen first annual summer launch event (June 17)
- Greater Jamesport Civic Association Meeting: Guest Speaker, Councilor Rothwell (June 18)
- Hire a Pro to Clean Dad’s Yard (June 19)
- Manage your hand and wrist pain: Tips from the hospital for special surgery (June 23)
- Sipping and Succulent Workshop (June 23)
- Exhibition of vintage and classic automobiles (June 25)
- East End Lions Club Sponsored Golf Outing June 27 (June 27)
- Add your event
- Animal communication. It’s time to stop thinking they have no voice. (Details)
- Living with someone who has memory loss? Over 60? Paid study done by phone! (Details)
- Add your ad
Concerts and services:
You are officially informed for today! I’ll be back in your inbox tomorrow with another update.
— Lisa Finn
About me: I am a journalist whose passion is to tell the stories of people’s lives. This is your site – it’s a place where your voice can be heard. I look forward to hearing from you.
Got a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming North Fork Daily? Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org